This event has no upcoming dates
A steamy spring is just around the corner...
Hot on the heels of the Spring Diesel Gala, its time for Steam to take centre stage at the first big event of 2016! Read on for details on your next locomotive fix at the ELR!
This March will herald the East Lancashire Railways first 3 Day Spring Steam Gala, taking place from Friday 11th until Sunday 13th March. Up to 6 steam engines will be making an appearance over the 3 days including the spectacular ‘City of Wells’ which is enjoying an extended visit to the line.
Steam locomotives will be drawn from the pool which includes:
- LMS Stanier Coronation Class 4-6-2 No. 46233 'Duchess of Sutherland' (subject to availability)
- LMS Hughes Fowler 2-6-0 No. 13065, Crab
- Ex-SR Bullied West Country 4-6-2 No.34092 ‘City of Wells’
- LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 No. 44871
- BR Standard Class 4 2-6-4 Tank No. 80080
- WD Austerity 0-6-0ST No. 132 'Sapper' - Now not available
- Hudswell Clark 0-6-0T No. 32 ‘Gothenburg’
At 9:20am Friday the first train will leave for Heywood which heralds the commencement of the main event. Throughout the weekend an intense passenger service will connect Bury will all the stations on the line. You will be able to swap and change trains with your unlimited travel tickets so don’t worry, you will be able to catch a ride behind every steam engine and chalk off each one throughout the weekend.
A freight train will also be running throughout the weekend between Bury and Ramsbottom, various locomotives will take their turns on this throughout the event. There will also be some unusual combinations and double-headed and banked trains will also be a feature of the event.
Whilst all this action is going on it you may get a little thirsty and hungry but don’t worry we have that covered too.
The Trackside at Bury and The Buffer Stops at Rawtenstall will both be open serving there lovely selection of hand prepared food as well a large selection of Real Ales and Ciders.
Bury Bolton Street Buffet will have a wide range of food available including fresh sandwiches, hot pies, drinks and snacks.
Rawtenstall Café will be open for drinks and snacks which is located on the bay platform.
Bury Bolton Street gift shop stocks a wide range of souvenirs including railway themed t-shirts, mugs and magazines.Model railway is also available from this ticket hall shop.
- Up to 5 steam locomotives running
- Intense passenger service
- Freight trains in operation
- Hot food available at Bury:
- The Trackside and Station Buffet
- Snacks and Drinks:
- Bury - The Trackside, Bury Buffet
- Rawtenstall – Station Café (bay platform), Buffer Stops
- On-train Buffets on FULL LINE service
- Souvenir shop in Bury Bolton Street Ticket Hall.
- Bury Transport Museum - FREE Entry with Rover Tickets
- Gauge One Model Railway
- Model Bus Federation Display
- Collectors Fair (Saturday and Sunday only)
- FREE Heritage Bus Service from Bury Bolton Street to Burrs Caravan Park and Ramsbottom Station on Saturday and Sunday
FREE Heritage Bus Service
The dedicated chaps from the Bury Transport Museum will also be running a heritage bus service from Bury Bolton Street to Burrs Caravan Park and Ramsbottom Station on the Saturday and Sunday of the event, another great way to get around.
The Timetable for the heritage bus service is below:
|ELR Bury Bolton Street - Dep
|Burrs Caravan Park - Arr
|Burrs Caravan Park - Dep
|ELR Ramsbottom Station - Arr
|ELR Ramsbottom Station - Dep
|ELR Bury Bolton Street - Arr
Spring Steam Gala Ticket Prices
Online Ticket Prices
Beat the queues and 10% by booking your gala tickets online. Our exclusive online discounts are displayed in the table below:
|One Day Rover
|Two Day Rover
|Three Day Rover
Discounted advanced tickets will be taken off sale 24 hours before the start of an event, the below tickets will be available from manned stations on the day.
On-the-Day Ticket Prices
The below Rover Tickets will replace all standard travel fares across the weekend.
|One Day Rover
|Two Day Rover
|Three Day Rover
Spring Steam Gala Half Day Photography Experience
Calling all photographers: Get behind the scenes at the East Lancashire Railway on one of our busy gala weekends of the year. Whether you're just starting out or are a bit of a shutterbug, this half day expert led experience provides a great introduction into camera techniques and settings in the surrounds of a bustling heritage railway. Go behind the scenes to areas not open to public access and capture both home fleet engines and visiting locos as they steam up and down the line.
- Expert guide from North West Photography Courses
- Introductory tuition on camera techniques and settings
- On location photography in public restricted areas of the railway
- £5.00 lunch voucher for the Buffet on Platform 3/4 at Bury Bolton Street Station
The Spring Steam Gala Half Day Photography Experience is £50.00 per person and can be booked online now.