This event has no upcoming dates
Schools Out Forever… well at least a week!
It’s that time again, the time children love and parents fear… Yes, it’s Half Term and the pressures on to find something to help keep your little ones occupied for a whole school free week. If you’re looking for something a bit more compelling than a Smartphone to keep their minds active this spring, the East Lancashire Railway can help!
Not only are we running trains Wednesday to Sunday this week, we have also compiled a handy list of inspiring and imaginative ideas for things to see and do, all within reach of a train journey on the East Lancashire Railway! So read on and get planning!
Top 10 things to see and do this Half Term
- Take a train ride: Sure, we’re a little biased, but nothing beats a steam train journey through the beautiful Irwell Valley in spring. There’s something magical about the rumbling of the rails and the hiss of the steam, and of course, a trip on the train need only be the start of your half term adventure. Why not ride the train to visit one of the areas other fantastic venues?
- Get crafty at the Children’s Craft Workshop, 20 Feb: Bury Transport Museum hosts Children’s Craft Workshops on a Wednesday during every school holiday, and this half term is no exception! Make your very own Hot Air Balloon! These workshops are specifically designed to educate and entertain and so make for a great out of school activity. Entry is £1 per child, the activity runs from 11am – 3pm.
- Unlock your inner artiste at Bury Art Museum, 21 Feb: Make sure to mark down Thursday 21 Feb in your calendar as the delightfully named BAM opens its doors for an arts and crafts session for children aged 4 – 11. Absorb some local culture in the beautiful museum surrounds as you create your very own masterpiece. 10:30am – 12pm, £3 per child. Find out more.
- Historic Hikes for Spectacular Sculptures: Burn off some of your kids boundless energy (where do they get it from?) by exploring the Irwell Sculpture Trail. You can join the trail at almost any point along the East Lancs Line and hike along 33 miles of outdoorsy art, featuring work from local sculptors that is deeply connected with the region’s background as both an industrial and rural heartland. Find out more.
- Clubbing it in Rossendale, 20 - 24 Feb: Head on up to the Whitaker Museum this Week (take the train in fact!) for the Half Term Holiday Club! There are some amazing activities available from learning portraiture to learning about nature, and as a bonus kids eat for half price at the Whitaker Café. Activities take place 1:00pm – 4:00pm. Find out more.
- Be a good sport: For the adrenaline junkies out there the Heywood Sports Village offers a huge range of activities for the exercise inclined! Sport facilities include badminton, bowls, cricket, tennis, basketball, netball and even swimming pools, plus much more besides. Get in touch with them to book use of the facilities! Find out more.
- Enjoy some Actual Magic, 20 Feb: Make sure you book your seat at The Met Theatre for “Morgan and West’s Utterly Spiffing and Spectacular Magic Show for Kids” (for bonus points try saying that three times fast). This fantastic magic show is the perfect way to while away an afternoon, mixing brain boggling illusion with good old fashioned tom-foolery. Find out more.
- Indulge your sweet tooth: If you really want to treat the kids (and yourself) make the journey to Ramsbottom to visit the famous Chocolate Café. This olde worlde shop offers an incredible choice of chocolate treats, all of them handmade in the store itself. Of particular note are the Chocolate Pizzas, a local favourite! Find out more.
- Have a buzzing time at the Fusilier Museum, 20 Feb: Celebrate the humble Bumblebee at this family craft event at the fascinating Fusilier Museum. Buzz away and make your very own bee mask before taking a look around the museum and browsing the gift shop. Entry is £2 per child and the activity runs from 10:30am – 12:30pm. Find out more.
- Have another train ride: The activity so nice we included it twice. Did we mention our steam trains are a great way to reach any and all of these attractions listed, and they make for an excellent compliment to your day out whatever you decide to do! Climb aboard!