This event has no upcoming dates
Bring the whole family and join the East Lancashire Railway as we welcome BR Standard Class 7 70000 Britannia! We’re celebrating the arrival of this legend of British locomotive design with a three day Scottish, Welsh and English Extravaganza.
Each of the railway’s stations will be hosting a variety of British themed events and activities including live music and traditional treats. It’s more fun than you can wave a flag at!
- Britannia rules the rails: Take a ride behind the engine of kings (well a king anyway)! Coming all the way from Crewe in 1951 the loco will be running passenger services on all four days of the event. Board your heritage carriage and ferry yourself between the different activities in style.
- Bounce around Britain: Each one of our stations will be themed after a different part of Great Britain. Head up to Rawtenstall for some highland hijinks, swing by Heywood for a quick trip to Wales and visit Bury for a boogie in “The Cavern”. Pick a favourite or explore them all!
- Britpop at Every Stop: There will be tuneful interludes at all of our main stations including live musicians performing tributes to British classics and ambient melodies, all providing the perfect soundtrack for your day. Make sure you watch this space for updates on show times and starring acts!
- Classic Cuppa: For an additional £10 enjoy the quintessentially British afternoon tea experience on board of our Observation Saloon. This add on includes a journey up the line on the VIP Saloon, a cup of tea and a scone replete with jam and clotted cream.
- Great British Dishes: There will be a number of foodie favourites available at every station. Sate your appetite for English, Scottish and Welsh delicacies as well as a few of their finest beverages.
- Complete the Quiz: Visit every station to find all of the quiz clues then hand in the finished form to enter a prize draw! Every child that wishes to take part in the quiz will receive an ELR Pencil that they can use to mark down the answers.
More is set to be announced as the event gets nearer so be sure to watch this space!
Book a seat on the Britannia Best of British Diner, 10 & 11 April
Take your day out to the next level with a luxury three course meal hauled by Britannia herself. Celebrate the occasion in true style with this no holds barred dining excursion. The menu features:
- Smoked Salmon & Prawn Roulade with rocket salad and chargrilled tomato basil relish
- Cream of Sweet Potato & Paprika Soup with chopped thyme
- Slow Roasted Minted Lamb Henry with red wine gravy
- Red Velvet Sponge with vanilla cream
- Coffee/Tea & After Dinner Chocolate
Taking place on the evenings of the 10th and the 11th April, tickets cost £65 per person.
Tickets and Timetable:
The East Lancashire Railway will be running a special event fare & timetable.
Book online and save 10%
||Family (2 adults and 3 children)
On-the-Day Ticket Prices
The below Rover tickets will replace all standard travel fares across the weekend.
||Family (2 adults and 3 children)
Important Information and Getting Here
The booking office, gift shop and buffet are open from approximately 10am – 4pm. The Trackside Bar will also be open from 1030am – 12am (Friday), 09:30am – 12am (Saturday).
We recommend beginning your journey at Bury Bolton Street Station. For information on how to get there, as well as a helpful guide to local transportation links and parking spaces, please visit our Getting Here page.