Caption: Go lineside and get up close to some of our magnificent steam engines ...
Caption: ... and our immaculately preserved diesel locos!
Looking to learn, improve or simply get the most enjoyment out of your hobby? Then budding shutterbugs need look no further!
An East Lancashire Railway Photography Experience Day offers you unique opportunities to photograph heritage trains, stunning rural scenery and vintage industrial townscapes, to learn about the heritage of the local surrounds and to socialise with likeminded people. You will even get to peek 'behind the scenes' of this historic institution and explore areas not normally open to the public, including the Locomotive Works and the UK's largest vintage railway signal box!
If you're looking for a unique glimpse into railway life why not book a spot on one of our Special Gala Photography Courses. This half day session takes place during the railway's gala weekends these courses are great value for money and offer you the chance to take some stunning photographs of the special guest locos attending the event.
See whats in store...
Our experiences welcome photographers of all ability levels, from complete novices through to advanced veterans all are sure to get something out of the day. The courses are closely led by expert tutors from our partners North West Photography Courses, on hand to provide as much or little support as you need to enjoy a full day out!
- Morning debriefing on the Platform, including a safety briefing, some basic hands on tuition tailored to the needs and ambitions of each attendee.
- A light lunch provided during the day.
- A heritage steam or diesel train ride for location shots, where the focus will be photography of the trains, architecture, as well as flora and fauna of the surrounding area.
- Train ride back to Bury for a unique behind the scenes visit to the locomotive sheds where you will have the opportunity to get up close to the engines and see the ongoing work required to repair and maintain them.
Dates and Prices
Standard Photography Courses
Watch this space for further information
Special Gala Photography Courses
Gala Half Day Photography Courses take place only on special Gala Dates throughout the year, offering the opportunity to take photos of special guest locomotives. These courses last for half of the day and cost £50 per person. Watch this space for dates.
Participants must be aged 18 years or over and physically fit and able to walk over rough ground.
Terms and Conditions:
- Participants are advised to notify the railway of any health problems or medical conditions which may affect their participation prior to booking.
- The day’s experience is not suitable for children.
- Participants are advised to wear stout footwear due to the nature of the underfoot conditions.
- Participants and guests must not arrive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs (including mentally prescribed drugs) which may affect their vigilance, nor consume alcohol or drugs during their Photography Experience Day.
- Once a booking has been confirmed we are unable to make any refunds, or arrange an alternative date. You are free to nominate an alternative participant if you so wish.
- Vouchers booked for a specific date are valid for that date only. Open vouchers are valid for one year from the date of purchase. Photography Experience vouchers can still be used after the expiry date but extra costs will be applicable.
- Whilst every effort will be made to adhere to the published Photography Experience dates, the East Lancashire Railway reserves the right to cancel dates and issue participants with alternative dates should the need arise.