Caption: Explore the Irwell Valley
Caption: Travel by steam train!
The aim of this activity is to help students to understand the processes that give rise to key physical and human geographical features. They may also collect, analyse and communicate with a range of data gathered through experience of fieldwork that deepens their understanding of geographical processes.
During the visit, students will study the geographical features of the River Irwell between Rawtenstall and Irwell Vale. The two mile stretch of river illustrates perfectly the effect or erosion and deposition, including how an ox-bow lake can be formed, the
effect of flooding and land use along the valley.
Practical activities can be included by arrangement.
Transport is provided by a steam-hauled train, please note that the East Lancashire Railway reserves the right to change to a diesel service on short notice.
This programme is suitable for upper Key Stage 2, Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4.
Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from Easter to July and also in September.
Cost and booking information
||Cost per pupil
09:30 – 10:00: arrive Bury Bolton Street
09:30 – 10:45: introductory presentation or visit to Bury Transport Museum
10:45 – 11:00: transfer to Bolton Street Station
11:05: train departs for Rawtenstall
11:35: arrival at Rawtenstall, toilet visit
11:45: begin riverside walk (lunch break by arrangement and allowing for weather conditions)
13:45: arrival at Irwell Vale
14:02: train departs for Bury
14:25: arrival at Bury, optional shop visit
14:30: depart for school
- Risk assessment and safety talk
- Introductory presentation to the day’s activity
- Return trip from Bury to Rawtenstall on a heritage steam train
- Course delivered by a guide
- Worksheets and handouts as appropriate
- Reference material for teaching staff
- Guided walks along the River Irwell from Rawtenstall to Irwell Vale
- Optional visit to Bury Transport Museum
- Optional shop visit
What to Bring
- Walking boots or strong trainers
- Warm clothing and waterproofs
- Long trousers are recommended
- Packed lunch and drink
- Notebook and writing materials if required