Footplate Experience Days
Have you ever dreamed of driving a train from station to station through scenic countryside? The East Lancashire Railway’s Footplate Experience Days provide an ideal opportunity to fulfil your childhood dream! Get behind the controls of a lovingly restored ex-British Railway steam or diesel locomotive, pulling a train of vintage carriages or wagons, and enjoy an unforgettable experience!
Participants can spend a full or a half-day with our locomotives and options can include a guided tour and an afternoon lunch!
There are two distinct packages to choose from, each with the option of a steam or diesel locomotive:
Steam or Diesel Experience Days:
Pick a steam or diesel date and enjoy a full-day course, including:
- Half a day making two round trips between Bury, Heywood and Ramsbottom. During this time you get to drive the locomotive, fire the locomotive or be the second man on a diesel. You also get to act as a train guard.
- Half a day on a guided tour behind the scenes. You will visit the ELR loco works and Bury South signal box, one of the largest restored mechanical signal boxes in the UK, as well as the carriage and wagon workshops.
- 12 months membership of the East Lancashire Railway Preservation Society.
- Presentation of a souvenir certificate signed by the driver and fireman/second man.
- Train travel for up to two guests and lunch at The Trackside Bar!
Steam or Diesel Freight Experience Days:
Decide on a diesel or steam date and enjoy a Full line trip during the course, including:
- One round trip between Heywood and Rawtenstall from Bury, during which you will get to drive the loco, act as a fireman or second man and act as the train guard.
- Souvenir certificate signed by the driver and fireman/second man.
For a glimpse of what a Steam Footplate Experience has to offer, watch this trailer:
And for a taster of what to expect on a Diesel Footplate Experience, watch this trailer:
For further information please call the Footplate Experience Manager on 07814 302 813.
To book download the FXP Booking Form and send it to the address below.
Footplate Experience Manager
East Lancashire Railway
Bolton Street Station
Or e-mail it to: email@example.com
Full Terms and Conditions available here.