1940s Weekend “Sing as we Go”
25 – 27 May 2013
A Spitfire fly past, ENSA entertainers, a military parade and much more.
Make your way to the East Lancashire Railway this summer as we celebrate an era of glamour, style and community spirit. The 1940s are coming back for the 15th time here at the ELR and we aim to mark the occasion!
From afternoon dances set to 40s swing, vintage and retro fairs and ENSA entertainers to period vehicle displays, battle re-enactments, a military parade and to top it all off a Spitfire and Hurricane Fighter Plane fly past.
Here are just a few of the weekend’s highlights:
- Enjoy action packed battle re-enactments at Ramsbottom and Heywood Stations
- Pick up a choice piece of 40s memorabilia or buy the perfect wiggle dress at the Vintage and Retro Fair, Bolton Street Station
- Be entertained by ENSA entertainers, including the popular Miss Katie Spitfire and father and daughter duet Paul and Natasha Harper
- Get into the swing of things at one of the several afternoon tea dances and evening dances held throughout the event
- Embrace a bygone culture with the 1940s Prom Concert
- Take in a glorious military parade led by the Greater Manchester Army Cadet Forces Pipe and Drum Band
- Evening entertainment at The Grants Arms in Ramsbottom
- Period military and civilian vehicles on display at Bury Transport Museum and Ramsbottom Station
- Stage production of Mrs York’s Shelter by Planet Rabbit Productions in Ramsbottom
- Spitfire and Hurricane Fighter Plane fly past on Saturday at Bolton Street Station (weather permitting)
Download a summary of the 1940s Weekend programme or purchase the souvenir brochure from Bury Bolton Street Station to get the complete events listing and supporting information.
How to Book
Day rovers are the best value tickets and allow all day travel as well as free entry into the Bury Transport Museum.
Adult (aged 16 and over): £18.00
Child (aged 5 and over): £11.00
Concession (aged 60 and over): £16.00
Family (2 adults and 3 children): £47.00
Or call 0161 764 7790, lines open daily 10am – 4pm.
It is possible to pay on the day but pre-booking is highly recommended.
Find information on how to get here.