Live music and dance, ENSA entertainers and a military parade.
Join the East Lancashire Railway this summer as we party like its 1949. The award-winning 1940s weekend returns for the 16th time and we want to make this celebration the best one yet! Enjoy afternoon dances set to 40s swing, vintage and retro fairs, ENSA entertainers, period vehicle displays, battle re-enactments, a military parade and much more!
Here are a few of the weekend’s highlights:
- Be entertained by ENSA entertainers including the cheeky chappie Mr Paul Harper and the popular Miss Katie Mustang.
- Get your swing on at one of the several afternoon tea dances and evening dances.
- Take a look at a replica WW2 Spitfire which will be on display opposite Ramsbottom Station on Saturday and Sunday. This display has only been made possible by the contributions and hard work of local businesses.
- Get together for a good old sing-along at the 1940s Proms Concert in Ramsbottom on Monday.
- Take in the glorious military parade led by the Greater Manchester Army Cadet Forces Pipe and Drum Band at approx. 2pm in Ramsbottom on Sunday.
- Period military and civilian vehicles on display.
- Vintage stalls offering forties fashion and memorabilia.
- Enjoy exciting battle re-enactments.
Enjoy the following montage, which will give you a good idea of what to expect.
Programme & Timetable
Please find the 1940s Weekend timetable here.
Vintage bus service runs from Morrison’s car park in Heywood town centre runs to Heywood Station. First service leaves Morrison’s Car Park at 9.00 and on the hour every hour until 5pm.
For information on what is happening across the weekend, download our 1940s Weekend Event Planner.
How to Book
Day Rovers are the best value tickets and allow all day travel as well as free entry into the Bury Transport Museum. Adult Day Rover (aged 16 and over): £18 Child Day Rover (aged 5 and over) £11 Concession Day Rover (aged 60 and over): £16 Family Day Rover (2 adults and 3 children): £47 Our full range of two and three day rovers will also be available as well as full line return tickets.
Or call 0161 764 7790, lines open daily 10am – 4pm. Every person who pre-books will receive a free souvenir programme which will be posted out to them two weeks before the event.
Re-enactors will need to complete and return the following form in order to obtain a free re-enactors pass.
If you wish to book a slot to display your civilian vintage vehicle, please complete and return the following form.
If you wish to book a slot to display your military vintage vehicle, please complete and return the following form.
If you wish to book a space to stay during the 1940s Weekend please complete and return the following form.