Since launching in the late 1960s the East Lancashire Railway Preservation Society (ELPRS) has been fighting an ongoing battle to preserve the heritage railway line, a battle which still goes on today. The railway relies on volunteers to keep the fire of this little piece of British heritage stoked and burning and we are always on the lookout for more volunteers to join our family!
From cleaning carriages, manning the ticket offices, checking tickets and even driving the train, we have a welcome place for you no matter your skill set and preference. Find your place in one of our many departments. Work as long as you like, when you like, with like-minded people and receive the great benefits of being an East Lancashire Railway member!
- Three free trips are available per year to life, full, senior and junior members, already saving you more than the cost of annual membership.
- One free trip available to family members and all other trips are at Concessionary rate to all members.
- Subscription to the ELR news, a quarterly magazine with articles, stories, reminiscences and more of the East Lancashire Railway.
Departments & Roles
- Administration Department
- Carriage and Wagon Department
- Civil Engineering Department
- Diesel Department
- Electrical Engineering Department
- Events Department
- Footplate Experience Department
- Guards Department
- Sales and Retail Department
- Signalling & Telecoms Department
- Stations Department
- Steam Department
To become an East Lancashire Railway volunteer you must first become a member of the East Lancashire Railway Preservation Society, from there you will be given the details on the departments you are interested in. Alternatively, you can go on one of our regular Site Tours and gain an insight into the activities each job requires before making your choice. You are free to change your mind at any time!
To find out what we do and how you can get involved please contact our Volunteer Liaison Officer who will be more than happy to tell you more:
07840 110 448