Who’s it for?
Wonderful Wheels is an educational trip recommended for younger Early Years and Key Stage 1 pupils. We can help you expand and adapt the trip to suit Key Stage 2 and Key Stage 3 pupils, or for groups with Special Educational Needs.
Dates, times & prices
Wonderful Wheels is a full or half day activity, which can be combined with a train ride between the months of April to September. The activity is available on limited days during October to March, but without a railway journey included.
- Option One – Half Day without Railway Journey
£3.50 per pupil
- Option Two Full Day – without Railway Journey
£5.00 per pupil
- Option Three Full Day with Railway Journey
£10.00 per pupil
- Accompanying Adult Ticket free
Option one, two and three
- Guided Introduction: including a look at railways in the past
- “Make a Moving Vehicle” craft activity: pupils use card and wooden wheels to design, test and build a vehicle and see whether it moves
- Exploration time: pupils can explore the heritage vehicles, amazing artefacts and interactive exhibits here at Bury Transport Museum
- Investigating Wheels: pupils get an up close look at the different wheels on the museum’s vehicles to see what makes them work
- Investigating Old Vehicles: pupils take a guided tour of the museum’s collection to compare older and newer forms of transport
- Investigating the Museum: an interactive session that has attendees looking for clues to discover the original use of the museum building, a converted railway goods shed
- A Trip on the Rails: there’s plenty to see from the windows of a heritage carriage, and even more to see during a 20 minute stop at Rawtenstall. Pupils are provided with an “I Spy” sheet to help them find interesting sights during the journey, and lunch is eaten on the train.