Repeat Visit Promotion
- The Repeat Visit Promotion will commence from the 10 February 2018 and will provide visitors who purchase a 'Freedom of the Line' ticket with a 2-4-1 voucher to be used on a future visit, enabling them to return and receive a discount on the cheapest ticket purchased.
- As well as the normal T&Cs, the voucher is issued when a full price adult 'Freedom of the Line' ticket is purchased.
- 2-4-1 can be redeemed in the following ways. For example, one adult and one child would pay for one adult. Two adults and one child would pay for one adult and one child.
- Offer is valid from 10 February - 18 November 2018, excluding special events.
- Vouchers cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
- Cannot be redeemed for cash.
- Dining services are pre-bookable only and cannot be booked on the day of travel.
- Prices include return train travel. Drinks not included.
- A fee of £15 per person applies for cancellations processed within one month of train travel date, £20 per person if cancelling within five days of travel.
- Children may only travel on the lunch services. Child prices are for children under 12 years old.
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks are served on board. Drinks can be pre-ordered at the time of booking. Cash and debit/credit card payments are accepted.
- Every effort will be made to ensure that steam locomotives haul our dining services. However, should a steam locomotive be unavailable, the East Lancashire Railway reserves the right to substitute a diesel locomotive without prior notice.
- Diesel Diners will be hauled by a diesel engine.
Bury Bolton Street Station is fully accessible for visitors in wheelchairs and provides disabled toilet facilities. We regret that due to the age and design of our dining carriages it is not possible to travel in your wheelchair whilst dining. A ramp will be available during boarding to aid those with mobility problems; however cannot be used to transport wheelchairs or wheelchair users on board. Please contact us for further information on 0161 764 7790.
How to Book
Pre-booking is essential for all dining services and early booking is recommended. To make a booking simply choose your preferred date and select one of the following options:
- Book Online (postage fee applies)*
- Telephone: 0333 320 2831 (daily 9am - 9pm)
- Pop into our Information Office at Bury Bolton Street Station, Bolton Street, Bury, BL9 0EY (daily 10am - 4pm)
Payment can be made by credit or debit card or cash. Cash payments can be made at Bury Bolton Street Station only. If paying by card, please note that the payment will show as "THE LOWRY CENTRE" on your bank statement.
Postage is charged at £2.00 to cover ticket print, postage and packaging.
Ticket prices are stated exclusive of postage fees but all extra charges are displayed in an open and transparent way before you confirm your booking. We use online booking to ensure that we can provide you with a 24-hours service that suits your needs. If you use our online booking channel we'll assume that you are happy with the extra charges.
Special Dietary Requirements
- Vegetarian options must be pre-ordered when booking as it is not possible to change meal choices on the day of service.
- We can cater for special dietary requirements (vegan, dairy free, diabetic, gluten free) except for our Cream Teas and Afternoon Teas which cannot be made gluten free.
Footplate Experience Days
- Due to the high cost of running Footplate Experience Days, we are unable to make any refunds or arrange alternative dates once a firm booking has been confirmed.
- Vouchers with an allocated date are valid for that day only.
- We will permit you to transfer the place to someone else yourself, under the same booking conditions, but you must advise us of the details immediately they are known.
- Open vouchers are valid for a Footplate Experience to be taken within one year from the date of purchase.
- We will permit you to take your Footplate Experience on a date after the expiry date on the voucher provided we receive an additional payment to cover any increase in costs applicable when the Footplate Experience is taken.
- We reserve the right to cancel a Footplate Experience Day in the event of circumstances beyond our control, but we will issue customers with alternative dates.
- Child fares apply from ages 5 to 17. Accompanied children aged under 5 travel free of charge (except for Day Out with Thomas events).
Concessionary fares apply to all holders of UK concessionary passes, disabled concessionary pass holders with up to two carers and ELRPS members.
- Dogs are allowed to travel on the railway at no extra charge, however must be kept on a lead at all times.
- Details of other fares available on request.
- Payment can be made by credit or debit card (for purchases over £8) or cash. Payment by cheque is not accepted.
- While every effort is made to adhere to the published timetables, the company reserves the right to make changes without prior notice. E&OE.
- The company reserves the right to cancel or suspend any train without notice. All locomotives are subject to availability.
Conditions of Carriage
- DEFINITIONS In these conditions the "company” means the East Lancashire Light Railway Company Limited and includes its agents and staff.
- TICKETS Tickets are the property of the company and must be surrendered on request. Tickets are not transferable. Tickets are valid only for travel on the date(s) shown thereon. The issue of tickets of any particular type may be suspended without notice at the discretion of the company.
- Any passenger making a journey to a station beyond that to which he holds a valid ticket must pay the balance of the fare to the travelling ticket inspector or to that station on completion of the journey.
- Passengers must examine their tickets and change straight away. The company will not be responsible for any mistakes unless attention is drawn to them immediately. The company is under no obligation to give change or to accept any particular method of payment.
- In the event of any special class of accommodation for which a supplementary fare is payable being provided by the company on any service, such fare must be paid by any passenger making any part of the journey in such accommodation, and tickets for such supplement are subject to these conditions as if they where ordinary tickets.
- In cases where the company issues platform tickets or other tickets for admission to any of its premises, these conditions shall apply.
- GROUP TRAVEL TICKETS Group travel tickets (whether discounted or not) are only valid when the group travels together with the ticket holder. If group members travel separately, individual tickets must be purchased at the appropriate undiscounted fare.
- DAMAGED OR MUTILATED TICKETS Any ticket which has been so torn or mutilated that any material information is defaced will not be valid and the holder of such a ticket must pay again the fare for the journey completed.
- INSPECTION OF TICKETS All tickets must be produced and handed over for inspection if requested by any staff member or agent of the company.
- The company reserves the right to refuse admission to any area of a train, station and/or other premises to any person not in possession of a valid ticket, and/or to request the person to leave the company's train, station and/or other premises.
- Residents’ tickets, ELRPS members’ tickets, HRA passes, ATOC passes, working members’ passes and other tickets are subject to the additional requirement that any pass, permit or identification necessary for such concession shall be produced at the time of booking and on all occasions when the ticket is produced or handed over for inspection. Failure to produce the required pass, permit or identification renders the holder liable to pay the full ordinary fare, failing which they will be treated as a person not in possession of a valid ticket.
- The company's staff members or agents may, at their discretion, withdraw any ticket, pass or permit if misuse is suspected.
- LOST, STOLEN OR MISLAID TICKETS Any passenger failing to produce and/or hand over a ticket on request will be liable to pay again the fare for the journey completed. The company will not replace or refund any lost, mislaid or unused tickets, or refund any fares paid as a result of a passenger’s failure to produce or hand over a ticket on request.
- REFUNDS Tickets are not refundable unless stated either in these Conditions of Carriage or in the specific conditions for the particular ticket type.
- If a train is cancelled or delayed by more than fifteen minutes, or if insufficient passenger accommodation is available on a train, passengers holding single or return travel tickets may request a refund on the unused portion of their ticket if they choose not to travel. The refund must be requested directly from the outlet that sold the ticket (eg booking office, travelling ticket inspector, web site) and the ticket(s) must be surrendered.
- Platform tickets and other admission tickets are not refundable, other than in exceptional circumstances at the company's sole discretion.
- Special Event tickets and Rover tickets are not refundable unless the entire event is cancelled, or may be refunded in whole or in part at the company's sole discretion.
- DELAYS, DISRUPTION AND CONSEQUENTIAL LOSS The company’s published timetables may be altered or suspended at any time and for any reason. The company shall be under no obligation to convey passengers by train, nor by any particular type of train.
- The company will not be liable for any loss (including consequential loss) arising from: (a) the failure of any passenger to board the correct train or alight at the correct station; (b) the fact that there is not sufficient accommodation (whether seated or standing) on any train; (c) the failure of the company to reserve accommodation when requested; (d) the early or late departure of any train or any cancellation(s) or alteration to any timetable(s); (e) the failure to make any connections, whether advertised or not; (f) the failure to provide any particular facility, event or attraction, whether advertised or not; (g) the withdrawal of any ticket, pass or permit; (h) refusing access to, or requiring a person to leave, the company's trains, stations and/or other premises.
- If disruption caused by circumstances within the company's control leaves a passenger stranded before he/she has reached the destination printed on his/her ticket, the company will, if it reasonably can, arrange to get the passenger to his/her destination. Circumstances that are not within the company’s control include: (a) acts or threats of vandalism or terrorism; (b) suicides or accidents involving trespassers; (c) gas leaks or fires not caused by the company; (d) line or station closures at the request of the police, other emergency services or statutory authorities; (e) exceptionally severe weather conditions; and (f) riots or civil commotion.
- LOST PROPERTY The company will take reasonable care of any luggage, articles, animals or cycles which are taken into its safekeeping after being left in its trains or on its premises and will make a reasonable effort to contact the owner. The company may restrict or refuse access to retrieve any property left in its trains or on its premises if it is reasonable to do so.
- Any articles found in or on the company’s trains, stations or other premises will not be treated as belonging to the person who finds it and must be immediately handed over to a staff member or agent of the company. If property is left in or on the company's trains, stations or other premises, the company's staff or agents have the right to open it and examine the contents before removing it to a secure place. The company may, without being liable, remove or dispose of any property that might in its opinion cause any damage, injury or inconvenience.
- Any property taken into the company’s safekeeping which has not been retrieved within three months may be disposed of, and if sold the proceeds from the sale will be retained by the company. Items which are perishable may be disposed of earlier.
- ACCOMPANIED LUGGAGE, ARTICLES AND ANIMALS When accommodation is available the company will at its sole discretion convey accompanied bicycles, tricycles, tandems, prams, push chairs, and articles of a similar nature only in designated luggage areas of trains (and on payment of any appropriate fare). Such items must not obstruct any door, aisle or access to any train equipment.
- Hand luggage not exceeding 15kg per person may be carried in passenger compartments unless it is unduly bulky, dirty or of an offensive nature. Passengers must take care of any such items and may be liable for any injury, damage or loss if they do not take reasonable care.
- The company will only be liable for any loss or damage to luggage, articles, animals or cycles in its trains or on its premises if the loss or damage was caused by the fault of the company. The company’s liability in respect of any item will not exceed £1500 or the item’s value, whichever is lower.
- Dogs are conveyed (on payment of any appropriate fare) provided that they are kept under control and that other passengers or staff are not inconvenienced. All dogs must be kept on a lead at all times and are not allowed on seats. No other animals may be conveyed without the express permission of the company.
- Guide dogs and/or hearing dogs accompanying passengers with disabilities are conveyed free of charge and are normally permitted access to all public areas of trains, stations and other premises.
- UNACCEPTABLE CONDUCT Any person who the company has reasonable grounds to believe is intoxicated and/or likely to act in a riotous, disorderly, disruptive, unsafe or offensive manner may be refused access to, and/or may be required to leave, the company's trains, stations and/or other premises.
- Children under fourteen years of age are only permitted to enter the company's trains, stations or other premises when accompanied by a responsible adult.
Conditions of Sale
- The Management reserves the right to make alterations to the advertised timetable and programme; to refuse admission; to provide alternative seats to those purchased of the same or greater value.
- Tickets are purchased for personal use only and are not purchased as any form of business or commercial activity. All tickets are non-refundable. Tickets may not be resold or offered for resale by anyone at a premium or otherwise. Resale or attempted resale is grounds for cancellation without refund or notice.
- When processing your booking the Booking Office will ask your name, address, email address and telephone number. This information may be used to keep you informed of forthcoming events at the East Lancashire Railway with your agreement.
- All information correct at time of going to press.
- The East Lancashire Light Railway Company expressly disclaims all liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage occasioned by the user's reliance on any statements, information, or advice contained in this web site.