Get up close and personal with our ELR heritage, on a day-long, behind-the-scenes tour that’ll help you snap that perfect shot. It doesn’t matter if you’re a seasoned shutterbug or just getting started as an amateur photographer, you’ll have an amazing experience on the railway.
This is a photography experience day with a difference. You won’t just get to stand next to your subjects to capture them with your camera, you’ll get to see them thunder down the line and then ride on them yourselves!
Start the day learning some essential railway photography techniques so you’ll get the most from your time on the East Lancashire Railway. Whether you’re a complete novice or an advanced veteran, our expert tutors from North West Photography Courses will have some great tips to share. They’re on hand whenever you need help.
We’ll then take you lineside so you can get up close to some of our magnificent steam engines and our immaculately preserved diesel locos. You’ll explore the local countryside and learn all about the region’s history and heritage, as we take you to stunning rural and industrial backdrops to snap trains as they hurtle past.
You’ll even get the chance to take some photos inside our Engine Shed and other behind-the-scenes areas that the general public never get to explore!
A photography experience day on the East Lancashire Railway includes:
- A morning debriefing on the Platform, including a safety briefing
- Basic hands-on tuition tailored to your needs and goals for the day
- A light lunch provided during the day
- A heritage steam or diesel train ride for location shots, where you’ll focus on photography of the trains, architecture, as well as flora and fauna of the surrounding area.
- A train ride back to Bury for a unique behind the scenes visit to the locomotive sheds to see the ongoing work required to repair and maintain our engines.
The fine print
You’ll need to be physically fit for our photography experience days, and they may not be suitable for guests with some disabilities. Please read all our booking terms and conditions carefully to make sure you meet our requirements for the day.
Read our terms and conditions