Take advantage of discounted travel fares with our Resident’s Permit and discover exciting things to see and do right on your doorstep. Soak up scenic rural vistas and historical urban landscapes, bag a bargain at the local markets or independent boutiques or discover something new at the many museums and art galleries; the Resident’s Permit scheme provides discounted train travel to all of this and more for people living in Bury, Rochdale or Rossendale.
Travelling by heritage rail is a great way to add a touch of magic to any day out. Travel to Heywood to visit the Victorian Queen’s Park, visit the Met Theatre and adjoining Automatic Café in Bury, steam by for a browse through Ramsbottom’s boutiques and shops and finish up in Fitzpatrick’s in Rawtenstall for a thirst quenching draft of Dandelion and Burdock in Britain’s last original temperance bar.
Why not get creative?
- Pick up one of our Rail Ale Trail leaflets and go on a self-guided tour of the line, sampling some fascinating history and some superior real ale.
- Download a Visitor Guide and explore some of the fantastic things to see and do around the area.
Resident’s Permits are £10.00 and entitle holders to significantly discounted travel tickets for a three year period. Full Line Return Tickets which are valid for one full line journey are available for permit holders at the below prices:
|Freedom of the Line (Adult/Child/Concession)
How to apply
Pay a visit to one of our manned stations to apply for your Resident’s Permit. A copy of the Application Form can be downloaded below and can be posted to the following address:
Passenger Services Department
(RES) East Lancashire Railway
Bury Bolton Street
- This ticket does not allow unlimited all day travel or admission into Bury Transport Museum, however permit holders can purchase these at discounted rates. Up to four children accompanying a permit holder may travel at the discount rate listed above.
- Resident’s Permits are issued only to people aged 16 years or above who reside in the boroughs of Bury, Rochdale or Rossendale.
- There is a charge of £10 for a permit which covers you for a whole three year period.
- Please note that a passport photograph and proof of residency will be required.
- Note that applications may take up to 14 days to process.
- Please note that the permits are not valid for discounts on event tickets, platform tickets or dining services.