Please note: dates for 2024 will be published as soon as they are available.
Take control of one of our historic diesel locomotives and realise your childhood dream of working as a train driver. We’ll help you become a fully-fledged railway man or woman for the day on the ELR.
A diesel train driving experience on the East Lancashire Railway is exactly that. Your chance to drive a real, heritage diesel locomotive hauled train.
During this hands-on, full day diesel footplate experience, we’ll take you behind the scenes on the ELR, showing you places that the general public never gets to see. You’ll enjoy a hot lunch (you can bring friends and family if you like) and then we’ll put you behind the controls of one of our heritage diesel engines.
You’ll learn how to guard and then drive the train yourself as you power along the line.
Book this once in a lifetime diesel train driving experience – an extra special treat for yourself or an unforgettable gift for a loved one.
Drive a diesel train on the ELR and you’ll:
- Get a full safety briefing with the crew
- Drive for 8 miles and second man a diesel train for 8 miles
- Guard for 8 miles and travel as a passenger for 8 miles on a diesel train
- Enjoy a hot lunch with the option to include friends and family*
- Join a half-day guided tour behind the scenes of the East Lancashire Railway
- Have plenty of wonderful photo opportunities
- Take home a commemorative certificate and complimentary ELRPS membership
*Two guests allowed per participant. Extra charge of £10.00 per lunch and £5.00 per person for a guided tour.
Dates, times and prices
Our diesel footplate experiences typically take place on a Friday or Saturday. They last all day, starting at 8.30am at Bury Bolton Street Station and finishing back there at approximately 5.00pm.
The fine print
If you’re considering our Drive a Diesel Train experience, please make sure you read all the details here. A footplate experience can be a labour intensive experience and we want you to enjoy every part of it.
Read our terms and conditions